Data Analytics Engineer
WHO WE ARE:
We are operator-led investors from the first ticket to the first round. Our team is made up of entrepreneurs, hyper-growth tech company execs, and operators who are committed to supporting founders in their journeys to build sustainable companies through product-led growth.
We are driven to build a diverse group of portfolio companies, stakeholders and ecosystem of partners. We genuinely believe that diversity of gender, ethnicity, race, culture, religion and sexual orientation truly brings wealth of ideas and resources that strengthen our collective resolve – to support diverse founders building the most impactful companies.
We are also painstakingly aware that we live in a world where the best opportunities are heavily concentrated in a few postal codes, even though talent is globally distributed. We are determined to bridge this gap and provide the best entrepreneurs –regardless of location– the resources needed to elevate their businesses to extraordinary heights.
Since our foundation in 2017, we have raised and deployed a $52M fund and we are in the process of closing our second fund, circa $100M. We have invested in 70+ early-stage startups ranging from pre-seed to Series A not only as investors but as operators ready to support founders with whatever challenges arise.
We are headquartered in Miami and Madrid however we are open for this role to be remote based in the USA, EMEA or LatAM
WHAT THE DATA TEAM DOES:
At TheVentureCity, we are building the best data analytics team in the world of startup investing. Our data platform enables “customer analytics at scale,” whereby we leverage our startups’ data to help them grow. We are looking for a Data Analytics Engineer to join our team to build and support an ever-growing collection of data pipelines from startups into TheVentureCity’s cloud data warehouse. We use a modern data stack: BigQuery for storage and processing; Fivetran for extracting and loading; and dbt for transformations. When necessary, we build custom Google Cloud Functions when no Fivetran connector exists. On top of BigQuery, depending on the use case, we have Redash dashboards; Google Data Studio reports; and Tableau workbooks. Collectively, these tools enable our Product Data Analysts to evaluate investment opportunities; manage the portfolio; and advise founding teams and third-parties–as efficiently and scalably as possible.
As a Data Analytics Engineer, you will…
- Feed fresh, clean, reliable data to the Analysts as efficiently as possible
- Work with startups’ teams to facilitate due diligence efforts or establish data connections when their companies join the portfolio
- Understand and document the data sources to provide context to the Analysts, and collaborate with them on how they may use it to gain insights
- Monitor Fivetran and dbt and resolve any production pipeline issues; this includes building out dbt’s unit test suite and other tools to identify problems proactively
- Take a “don’t repeat yourself” (DRY) approach to building flexible, reusable assets
- Share your expertise with the portfolio companies as they grow their data capabilities
These skills and personal characteristics are critical to success in this position:
- Consultative, collaborative, problem-solving approach to working with teammates and the companies we support
- Love of learning
- Capacity to work autonomously and be accountable for deliverables
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent work streams
- Affinity for working on a geographically distributed team
This is the baseline set of skills the position requires:
- Expert-level SQL
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, especially BigQuery and Cloud Functions
- Exposure to dbt and Git
We are looking for someone whose background looks like the following:
- Undergraduate degree in a technical field like engineering, information systems, or similar
- 3+ years of experience working in analytics engineering in a business
- Fluency in English is required, and fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Located in US, EMEA or Latin America
- We are open to either part-time contract or full-time employee
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus of 25% base salary based on performance
- 24 paid vacation days a year
- Additional benefits may apply for full-time team members